The temple of Saint Charalambos in Tarampados is recorded for the first time in an 1828 census as a chapel of the parish from Kampos and even for the Orthodox inhabitants, who from 1767-1774 had the church of Saint Catherine in the same village. In 1828 the church was registered as privately- owned by a man named Finale, who also had in his possession the chapel of St. John in the Fallopia. However, a marble lintel inscribed above the entrance of the church’s bell tower, informs us that it was constructed as:PRAYERS OF THE COURSE OF THE GOD OF CONSTANTINOS TE LIVRANA ‘THERMIOTE KE MARILEAS 1726 JUNE 6.This shows that the temple is older than the above-mentioned chronology, and that it was then that great renovations took place, which seemed to have continued with donations in religious icons, furniture and other objects. Both the above inscription and the number of donor names also inscribed, show that the temple was already parochial in 1726.The pre-existence of the church of Saint Charalampos or its erection at that time, marked significant symbolic boundaries against evil, and the inhabitants’ worship of it as such, especially the Orthodox, spread considerably and even into the end of the 19th century, the church enjoyed great honor from the Orthodox Falatadians, Chatziradians, Ktikadians and Tripotamians.In the honorable icon of the saint, Saint Charalambos is depicted in the center, silver-plated, with 14 scenes from his life surrounding him. Few but remarkable tributes hang under the icon, predominantly ma de up of animals (horses, cattle, goats, pigs and a gorgeous sheep). These declare the rural character of the pilgrims who fled here and asked for his grace.Also important is the artichoke cultivation, already in the church’s garden in 1950 which, along with figs, accounted for the church’s meager receipts.And so the saint, like an unshakeable pillar and an ever-bright light for mankind, found himself to dwell in the fields of Tarabas, far away from plague and epidemics, offering cod every year on the day of his feast, February 10th, while the pigeons of the valley visit him daily.The text was based on the study of Har. Koutelaki, PhD, Archeology and History Agios Charalampos of Tarambados, TinosText editing by Marianna Kritikou Translation by Melina Ragazas

Εγγραφή Newsletter